A love story and a death story
Chapter 1: a love story
This love story has no beginning
and no end. I don’t remember the first time I saw him. Those first few moments
of encounter are all jumbled together now. It could have been that gig in the
church. Or maybe that was just the first time I really noticed him- the tall,
intimidating guitarist with the beautiful hair. I can’t remember officially the
first time that I laid eyes on him, but I remember how it felt when I first
heard his voice, when he mumbled his quiet hello; how beautiful his eyes were,
and how much more those eyes had to say than his lips did. That’s where I’ll start
my love story; with the world we’d know written behind his eyes.
The first time we really talked
it was his birthday and we were at a
grungy bar. He made some comment about the dirty couches and I thought it was
dumb. But later, when I saw him sitting in a booth on his own I felt compelled
to sit down beside him, and we started to talk. It was surprising how easy it
was to talk to a person with whom I was sure I had very little in common. When
he told me it was his birthday I tried to buy him a drink but he had none of
that—he was buying. The first gift we ever exchanged on his birthday was for
me, and that’s who J.J. was—the most giving person I have ever met. When I was
leaving that night to go home he ran after me for my number. We saw each other
a couple of times after that—at a party, and again, at a fiddle show that I
played in. But I never expected him to call. In my experience guys were flaky,
unaccountable and unreliable. But I did hear from him, shockingly. He was the
one who actually called. And so our love story unraveled in a pattern of J.J.
proving me wrong. I didn’t think he would call, I didn’t think he would show
up, I didn’t think he would be the kind of guy who I could talk to for hours
and still have more to say. Most significantly, I didn’t think he would be
anything more than “right now.” “I don’t think we’re going get married or
anything,” I remember telling a friend. Oh how I was wrong about that one.
Loving J.J. was my home. It was
the safe place to rest at the end of the day. It was the space for me to be
entirely myself without fear of judgment; the present and future woven into a
warm blanket that I could wrap myself in when I needed comfort and calm. It was
the easiest thing I’ve ever done; like walking downhill on a warm breezy day,
or watching waves gently lap at the beach. He was the ocean and I was a
thousand grains of sand being gently teased into the tide. I felt it pulling me
in, until one day, the water was all around me. The thing about love is that
you can fall into it quietly, but inevitably it yells for attention. And so one
day, in a friend’s apartment in Vancouver I finally saw it. When I came home I
told him, quietly, nervously, and as only J.J. would he replied, “Well that’s
okay because I love you too.”
I’ve learned since that moment
that, as cliché as it is, love is the strongest force in the world. It’s a
current that sweeps you up and takes you with it and trying to fight it is
exhausting. In the end all you can do is surrender. When I met J.J. I wasn’t
looking for love. I wasn’t looking for anyone. I never grew up imagining my
wedding day. I always figured I would be a mother but I never paid it much
attention. I suppose I wanted those things, but I never needed them until him. My world shifted with him in it; moved from
what it was to what it could be, and
swiftly the tide pulled and brought us into our own family. I often look back
and realize how quickly it all happened; how young I was when I married him and
became a mother.
I don’t know if I believe in
fate. At times now it seems like a concept made up by people who get what they
want in life. After all, how could it be fated for a family to be broken, for a
little girl to lose her dad and for a loving father to miss out on meeting his
own baby. But other times, albeit with mistrust, I see it from a different
angle: that I had just enough time.
Enough time to learn what real love is. Enough time to learn how to share a
life with someone. Enough time to gain a daughter who would be my savior
through the pain to come. Enough time to give her a sister; a best friend to
hold her hand through the uncertainties of life and to remind her that she’s
never alone. No matter what, J.J. will never have had enough time. But, if fate
exists, then we were fated to have enough time for these most significant
things, and perhaps, for that, I can forgive the universe.
I remember one of the hardest
moments in our relationship happened long before cancer did. The year after we
got married I was moving to Paraguay for the summer to do my Master’s research.
I had also recently been struggling with an injury that left me with chronic
pain. I was afraid to be alone, a world away, in a place where I wouldn’t know
where to go for help, and where I could only just get by in the local language.
J.J. drove me to the airport the evening of my flight, and I sat in the car and
just cried and cried. I didn’t know if I was going to be ok. And he sat with me
while I cried, and listened to me spill out all of my fears. And then he walked
me to security and watched me go through, promising to Skype with me when I
arrived the next day. “I’ll see you tomorrow,” he told me as he sent me off.
Those were the words that got me onto the plane.
A good friend always tells me now, when I go
to her in moments of weakness—uncertain of myself, or in doubt of my
capabilities, scared that I’m not going to be okay, that J.J. has prepared me
for this. It’s not something that I have fully understood. It’s hard for me to
wrap my head around what exactly he has prepared me for. But when I think about
the man he was, the person who loved me for ten years, who taught me how to love, how to fight fair, how
to be strong when I felt frailest, then it suddenly makes sense. J.J. saw
strength in me, he saw capability, and he saw a person who he believed was
worth loving. Now, when I don’t trust my own judgment, or don’t believe in
myself, I can trust him, like I always did, and believe in his belief in me.
That’s why our love story has no ending; because I am the love that he had for
me.
Carrying on without J.J. has been
the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. They say that grief is just love with
nowhere to go, but for me it has felt like his death was a brick wall that my
love has collided with every day since he died. It’s painful and, at times, crippling.
But I think I’ve learned that I need to find a new road around. J.J. taught me
to love generously, without hesitation. Our love story has taught me to be
brave and bold; to hold on to what fills my heart and to try to let go of what
burdens it. Our love story has taught me that vulnerability can come with great
strength. Even after my heart has been broken I can still wear it on my sleeve.
Because he loved me, of that I am not afraid.
Chapter 2: A death story
His eyes
were the first moment and his breath was the last. The short, labored inhales I
had been listening to for days, becoming gritty gasps for air, the long pauses
in between. The pattern was disturbing and wrong, but as I sat for hours with
him in his palliative care room-his designated room to die in—my brain
incorporated the foreign rhythm, and so when it stopped, so did time. I held my
own breath as the world paused to affirm that yes, this truly was his end of
life.
Before J.J. died I didn’t
understand the magnitude of what death could be. People in my life had died;
three grandparents whom I knew and loved. It hurt to lose them; I missed the
time spent on Christmas mornings, summers at the cottage, winter visits in
Florida. I recognized that our family was missing pieces, but I also knew that
this was the natural course of life. We get old and we leave this world and
it’s sad, but we expect it; we see it coming. Those deaths for me were not
earth shattering. With J.J. I was the earth and his death was a meteor impact. In
the flames of it all there were many deaths: my husband, my best friend, my
partner, my co-parent, and much of myself. So much of myself that I didn’t
recognize what was left over. The girl I’d grown up with was gone and I stared
at the Widow in the mirror, the “W” tattooed on my forehead everywhere I went.
Those
first few months after he died we were together again many times in my dreams.
But most of those dream worlds were grotesque: aspects of our normal lives
interwoven with the horrors of a cancerous death. He was always doomed in my
sleep too- and most of the time he didn't understand. Only I knew and watched
it happen. Just once he knew it; he had one day to spend with me and was
anxious to find me the perfect ring because it would be his last gift to me; a
memory that once I was loved by someone, and that he would've loved me forever
if he could have. It was beautifully sweet and tragic and for the first time I
felt a fleeting moment of closure; he knew, he accepted it, and he said his
goodbye. All of those questions that continue to haunt me, for a night,
dissipated in the knowledge that he understood, and surrendered to what was
going to happen. How I wish I could cling to that dream world for some sense of
solace that, in those last days, he was calm and could make his peace. How I
wish I could paint over the picture stained into my imagination of him calling
out, reaching for me, trapped in his head and unable to make his body work, to
tell me all of his fears, to seek comfort, and to gift me with some last words
of love or hope for our daughters and I. I’m not sure that I will ever make
peace with that agonizing silence, just the sound of those gasping breaths
going in and out, in and out, in and then out...and then nothing.
Gradually he has visited me less in my dreams. In sync with my
awake life, he is slowly stepping back, giving me space to survey the landscape
of my new life that goes on without him. To navigate the shape of it and
what pieces of my old life I can take along. It is a sad and liberating feeling
to let him step away. There is only so long you can walk with one hand in the
other world before it either pulls you in or pushes you out. Now when I reach
for his hand in the darkness he's no longer beside me but a few feet behind;
lingering and nudging me forward, away from him, at the same time. I imagine
myself on a boat in between two shores. He stands on the sandy beach behind me
in the twilight, and at the shore ahead is the sunshine. My eyes are adjusting
to the light and finally, albeit apprehensively, I am paddling toward the
morning.
There are, however, moments where the shadows seem to catch up
with me. A reminder of that long night. Often unexpected, these moments creep
up, sneak around and pop up in front of me, blocking my way and forcing me to
watch, to listen, and to remember that old fear of the dark. And then in a
flash I'm at the nurses' station, talking about hospice. Or signing a DNR, or
being confronted by the kind, sympathetic palliative care nurse as she tells
me, don't go home for a change of clothes--he'll be gone before you get back.
And then I am in the room with him again; he exhales, and I wait...and I
wait...and there's nothing. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to put into words
what it's like to watch death happen. It's unimaginable unless you've been there--the
feelings indescribable. There are no adjectives to describe how a person is
there, and a moment later, gone. How the heart you've rested your head against
every night for 10 years suddenly isn't beating anymore; how the hand that you
hold becomes abruptly heavy. That is a moment I hold intimately within myself
and it is that moment that keeps those shadows at my back, because I'm learning
to focus on the road ahead but for now at least they're still at arm’s length.
The death sits there, waiting for a long drive or a quiet room to step out and
remind me that forever it will have happened.
I
often wonder if those images will ever go away. Like falling on gravel, what if
the death is that little stone that gets buried in the wound. What if you can't
wash it out? Your skin starts to heal but around it, eventually sealing it in.
That's risky, isn't it? That little stone could at any point cause an infection
and make you sick. In those moments when the death sneaks into my mind I worry
that I'll never be able to get it out of me. What will become of me if I can't
wash out that stone?
What seems hardest for me to let go about JJ's death are all of the
things we didn't get to say. In those last weeks he was sleeping. I couldn't
seem to wake him, and it happened so suddenly that we didn't recognize it was
the beginning of the end until he was somewhere far away, unable to speak or
move or tell me anything. We never got to make peace together, with the death
to come. And so that little stone sits there, in the wound that I cut open when
I fell into that pit of grief and it's what I carry with me as I climb out.
Now, a year and a half later, I have been piecing
my life back together in ways that I never imagined I could. I quit my PhD for
many reasons, but primarily because I had come to the realization that it gave
me no joy. It was no longer my passion and the idea of remaining isolated,
working at home in the house that J.J. would never again come home to was too
dangerous, I knew, for my mental health. Suddenly that piece of paper was no
longer worth so much anymore. So I began to volunteer at a refugee health
centre because I needed to feel useful. I needed to find my new identity now
that I could no longer identify as wife, partner, best friend. Eventually I
accepted a research position at a mental health facility—the irony of which is
not lost on me. I haven’t quite figured out why, after his death I chose
to work in a hospital. When I think of the UHN in Toronto I feel sick. I can't
even get off the subway at College or University Ave because I remember doing
that, every day for 2 months, to see him as he was being bounced from ICU to
ward, back to ICU, to palliative care. For the most part hospitals remind me of
hope lost- so much so that I refused to set foot in one to give birth to Joy,
and when I have had to sit with either of my children in a hospital room I’ve
had to talk myself out of an automatic reaction of panic. Yet I walk into a
different hospital every day, and my unit is one that sees end of life; some
move from us to palliative care, some receive co-morbid terminal diagnoses,
many are widowed. It is my paradox that I'm surrounded by the stories of others
who are at, or have been close to, the end of life, when my story is the
one I want to run away from.
Maybe there is some comfort in
knowing that it didn’t just happen to me. Loss is an experience that I would never
wish upon anyone, but it’s a reality for many people and when I know it, I feel
a little less alone. Widowhood is a lonely road to walk at any point in life,
but in losing my husband at the age of 28 I am one hell of an anomaly, and I
have struggled with a sense of intense emotional isolation in this new reality
because, as it should be, it is impossible for even the most empathetic of
friends to identify with this experience. My blessing (in a terribly
inappropriate sense of the word) is that I have gotten to know a few others
like me who are walking the simultaneous path of young widowhood and sole
parenthood. I have been able to bear my soul in quiet, intimate conversations
and feel both understanding and solidarity. These are hands that have reached
out to me in the darkness and helped to pull me through. I still reach for
them, when the shadows come close, and find immense comfort to feel their
fingers intertwine with mine.
In this quiet chaos of my grief
journey I often wonder what becomes of those of us who are forced to walk this
path. What will become of me? I am left with another paradox—that I feel both
fear and hope for my future. These conflicting emotions often rotate and trade
places in a delicate dance in my mind and on any given day one can give way to
the other. Hence, I write my love story and death story all at once; a story of
hope and of hope lost, and this remains the reality that permeates my own
imaginations of my future. I hope that I will find some aspects of life that I have
lost, that I miss dearly. What scares me is not the risk inherent in hoping, in
loving, or in imagining what could be; but that those are risks that maybe I’ll
never get to take again. It’s the loss of potential that is my greatest fear.
So like the love story, the death story has no end. I fear I will carry it with
me, in some capacity, forever. That, I guess, is the burden of love; a burden I
chose to accept when I handed over a piece of my heart that I knew I would
never get back. Not quite whole anymore, it beats a little harder, trying to
make up for that missing piece.
Comments
Post a Comment